Do not use these Essential Oils if the following apply to you:
These increase blood pressure
eucalyptus / rosemary / thyme / camphor / neroli / peppermint / sage.
These decrease blood pressure
lavender / ylang ylang / clary sage / marjoram.
Avoid during pregnancy – may cause miscarriage. Also, avoid if trying to fall pregnant.
ajowan / angelica / aniseed / basil / bay / blue lotus / boldo leaf / buchu / calendula / camphor / carrot seed / cedarwood / cinnamon / chamomile / clary sage / clove / coriander / cumin / cypress / dill / eucalyptus / fennel / galbanum / geranium / ginger / horseradish / hyssop / jasmine / juniper / lavandin / lemongrass / marjoram / melissa / myrrh / mugwort / nutmeg / origanum / parsley / pennyroyal / peppermint / rose / rosemary / sage / sassafras / savory / santolina / spearmint / tarragon / thyme (red, white, and sweet) / yarrow.
Avoid in first trimester
chamomile / lavender / lemon / frankincense.
Avoid while nursing
Avoid while on medication
Phototoxic oils – can cause skin pigmentation or sunburn, so avoid sun for 12 hours after applying
angelica / anise / bergamot (bergaptene-free is safe) / cade /calamus /camphor / caraway / cassia / cumin / dill / fennel / fig leaf / ginger / grapefruit / lemon / lime / lemongrass / lemon verbena / loveage / mandarin / tangerine / oponopax / orange / petitgrain / rue / tagetes / yuzu / any other citrus oils.
Not for epileptics
basil / all camphors / clary sage / fennel / lavender / spike lavender / sweet thyme / rosemary / sage.
Possible skin irritants in people with hyper-sensitive skin
basil / bay / benzoin / birch / black pepper /caraway / cassia / cumin / cinnamon leaf / dill / fennel / fir / garlic / ginger / nutmeg / oak moss / oregano / parsley seed / peppermint / pimento berry / pine / tagetes / all thymes / wintergreen / ylang ylang / all phototoxic oils.
Do not use in depression
WHICH THYME AND SAGE TO AVOID
1) Special note on thyme: Red thyme raises blood pressure excessively, causes miscarriage, is toxic, and a skin irritant,
BUT Sweet thyme is gentle and safe.
White thyme is stronger than Sweet thyme, so use it in small amounts, combined with other essential oils.
2) Special note on sage: Sage can cause convulsions or paralysis, being a powerful nervous system stimulant,
BUT Clary sage is gentle and safe.
3) Do not combine with homeopathic remedies
eucalyptus / peppermint / spearmint / rosemary.
Never use these toxic essential oils
bitter almond / bitter fennel / boldo / buchu / cade / calamus / camphor (avoid yellow and brown, but white is safe) / fig leaf absolute / horseradish / hyssop / jaborandi leaf / mugwort / mustard / nightshade / oak moss absolute / parsley / pennyroyal / peru balsam / rue / sassafras / savin / savory / southernwood / stinging nettle absolute / tansy / tarragon / thuja / tree moss absolute / verbena absolute / wintergreen / wintergreen / wormseed / wormwood.
Use in room burner only, never on skin
cinnamon bark / cassia / origanum.
DANGERS OF ESSENTIAL OILS
1) As there are many hundreds of essential oils, it is not possible to guarantee that the above precautions comprise a complete list. Therefore, always consult a qualified Aromatherapist, when in doubt.
2) If you have a serious medical condition, always consult a medical Doctor, who has specialized in Medical Aromatherapy, before using essential oils.
3) Do not use essential oils if you are trying to fall pregnant.
4) Do not drink essential oils. Even a few drops, in a cup of tea, could cause stomach ulcers, bleeding, or diarrhea.
If, however, you are under the care of a Medical Aromatherapist holding a Doctor’s Degree, they will be able to choose safe oils for you to drink.
5) Do not let children near essential oils, as they could apply the concentrate to their skin, or drink it. Keep oils locked away.
6) Essential Oils are concentrates, so they can burn your skin, unless you dilute them correctly.
Only Lavender and Tea Tree can be used undiluted, and even then, just one drop applied to an area of skin.
If you follow the ‘avoid rules’ above, Essential Oils are safe to use, and impart a wide variety of health benefits, as long as you dilute them in carrier oils, such as olive oil.